Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Still Small Voice

So, I didn't appreciate this until another mom pointed out me but here it goes. We have tried all sorts of discipline with our daughter: time out, sending her to her room, and the occasional swat on the hand or butt. We still send her to her room if she is inconsolable (the other two weren't reaping proper benefits tho). BUT recently she has come up with a solution for her own tantrums. If she is throwing a fit, she'll stop and tell herself, and us, "I NEED TO CALM DOWN!!!" She'll storm halfway up the stairs and plant herself there, stare off into space until she is calmed down (10 seconds or so), and then she will come back down and continue her play. I thought, "Oh, she is putting herself in time-out...Great!" But I have recently pondered on this and realized, She is not putting herself in time out. She hates time out. She is applying what she hears us say, "Lanie you just need to calm down. It'll be okay." She knows how she feels when she hears this, and although often times it doesn't calm her down immediately, she knows that eventually everything is okay. I have observed a great lesson in watching her apply the feelings and words she often hears us speak to her. I have learned that it is not the yelling and bum-slapping that have taught her, it is when our voices are confident and still she is calmed and feels the peace and reassurance she needs. She is now able, as a 2 year-old, to apply this into her play and daily activities. I am so grateful for the maturity she exhibits by doing this. I am thankful for the lesson she has taught me about being calm, composed, and loving as a mother. I am also thankful for the lesson she has taught me about how Heavenly Father speaks to us.  Do we as children of God respond this way to our Heavenly Father's voice. Do we hear him speaking to us repeatedly saying, "You just need to calm down. Everything will be okay." Does He watch with joy in His heart (like I have with my daughter) knowing we can feel His influence and He is making a difference in our behavior. I hope so, and I hope that I can continue to rely on him as I try to raise his, and my, beautiful children!

No comments:

Post a Comment